Friday, May 24, 2013

I wish I had normal kittens sometimes!

Well, I took the Pacmans back to the shelter early to make room for more needy critters.  Yesterday I brought home one kitten, Olive Oyl, as she was faring poorly at work.  Found her pretty much crashed in the morning when I went in.  Worked on her all day and got her... well not really stable, but responsive and no longer declining anyway.  Later that day another skinny, dehydrated, very sick kitten came in.  Brought them both home for the night.  When I got up for the 5 am feeding/check I found Olive dead.  The new girl, Sonic, is holding up surprisingly well.  She's a very homely little thing for sure.  She has a very weasle-y head shape, which I'm hoping is just due to lots of Siamese blood.  She also is a strange mish-mash of short and long hair.  The fur in front of her ears is as long as the ears are tall, and she has a very long haired mohawk all down her back.  But is otherwise a shorthaired kitten.  I think.  She actually reminds me of my friend's dog Henry, who is hairless except where he's got long hair.  Except his face is smashed, not elongated.  Still, this is not a happy resemblance!  Anyway, Sonic's respiratory infection makes it impossible for her to nurse properly, so I'm stuck doing the dribble-feeding with a syringe method.  I'm hoping the Clavamox kicks it soon and maybe she'll learn to take a bottle.

The Zelda litter is still in the Hello Kitty room, where they'll likely stay until they're ready.  They're out of the way back there, and doing well.  The one tortie is still the runt, half the size of the rest.  But all are feisty and plump, so I've kinda quit worrying about them. 

Romeo and Juliet bounced back great.  I think it was a pretty close call for them.  And I think it was due to depression, or something like it.  Not handling being away from their mom.  With them at my house and me being able to cuddle them more, I think that's what turned them around.  However, after going for so long without eating, then eating a ton of really rich food.... yeah... I'm sure I don't have to describe the "end results."  They get bathed a lot.  Juliet seems to be recovering faster than Romeo, but that's not surprising since he was in worse shape from the start.  I just hope they don't backslide now that I'm paying so much more attention to Sonic (thus less attention to them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment